Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Urban Escapes

 


    I know with Summer raging full force right now, getaways may seem like a moot point, right? Not everyone can get away for the summer or if they have, they may need another vacation before settling back in to the daily grind. There are those who are chained to the desk at work or at the home office (ah hem) and just need that quick retreat without booking reservations to Cancun. The escape will most likely happen locally so I suggest to everyone to seek out those spots that soothe your soul. For those of us who live in Washington state I have found one such place. It depends on what tames your stress but I offer for your consideration the lovely city of Gig Harbor.
      Gig Harbor is a small city on the western side of the state of Washington. It is a fishing port bringing in commercial and private fishing boats, has commercial oyster beds, and a fish hatchery. It can be accessed from  Tacoma or from Bremerton. I live in Tacoma and in order for me to get there I have to take the historic Narrows Bridge. Crossing The Narrows is a pleasure because the views are amazing. Granted The Narrows is a toll bridge and yes, the toll was recently raised but for the occasional getaway, it isn't going to break the bank.
     I was meeting with one half of my charming real estate team, Georgiann Yost. I may be moving to the area (it's that lovely) and Georgiann enjoys showing me the local flora and fauna. We had lunch at the Tides Tavern and we both had the grilled steak salad. It was yummy, very fresh, and the steak was nice and tender. I  had a great Margarita to enhance my summer meal. The Tides sits on the water across from a shoreline reminiscent of New England. Fishing boats come and go to the dock and we even saw a sea plane land while we were there!
    There are farmer's markets where the food comes from right up the street. Those into sports can sink a putt on the greens or take a riding lesson at the many horse farms. If I wanted to I could have whipped out the bikini and gotten a tan on the beaches. In Washington, we like to hide behind white lies about the excessive rain when asked about the Seattle Metro area. We know the rain gives us the natural beauty that is capable of hiding an eight foot monster. Gig Harbor has all the lush forest and bays, lakes, lagoons, and inlets to take an extraordinary hike
   By far the most wonderful thing about Gig Harbor is the slower pace. When you cross the bridge you get the sense you have landed on an island. The beauty will make your heart race while you slow your breathing and relax. A very "AH" moment! When you're ready to pull your eyeballs off the computer screen here in Washington state, head over to Gig Harbor and spend a wonderful afternoon.                 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment